Classic chocolate chip cookies that are chewy in the middle, golden brown and crunchy on the sides and, of course, filled with chocolate. These gluten-free dairy-free chocolate chip cookies are a labor of love, but I promise every second is worth it. You will have your loved ones asking for more.
Can I make these chocolate chip cookies without refrigerating the dough?
I’ll be honest, I am the most impatient baker and often avoid cookie recipes that take longer than an hour. However, after experimenting with this cookie recipe, I found that letting the dough sit in the refrigerator overnight yields the best results. The flavor was better, more cohesive, and the cookies were denser. The batch I tested with just a 1 hour refrigerator time came out slightly crumbly and less cookie-like.
Which dairy-free chocolate do I use?
Use your favorite dairy-free chocolate chips. Or if you’re baking these cookies for non dairy-free people, milk chocolate chips pair fantastically with the dough (I highly recommend sea salt on top). In the cookies pictured, I used the 72% dark chocolate chips from Trader Joe’s. They’re dark, affordable, tasty, and dairy-free. However, any dairy-free chocolate works!
- Large Bowl
- Medium Bowl
- Whisk or electric mixer
- Large baking sheet
- ¼ Cup Cookie scoop optional
- Parchment Paper
- Plastic Wrap
- Cooling Rack
- 2 Cups Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free 1:1 Baking Flour
- ⅔ Cup Brown Sugar dark or light works
- ⅓ Cup White Granulated Sugar
- 1 Cup Vegan Butter softened
- 1 Large Egg
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 Tsp Baking Powder
- ½ Tsp Baking Soda
- 1 Pinch Sea Salt
- 11 oz Bag of Dairy-Free Chocolate Chips add more or less according to your preferences
- + Sea Salt for topping optional
- In a medium bowl, mix together flour and baking powder until the baking powder is evenly distributed and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine white and brown sugar, softened vegan butter, vanilla extract and salt. Whisk together until butter and sugar become light and fluffy. Then, mix in the egg until combined.
- Add 1/2 of the flour mixture to the large bowl and mix until combined. Then repeat with remaining flour.
- Fold in chocolate chips. (Use as much or as little as you'd like!)
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- After chilling, preheat oven to 375°F.
- Scoop slightly less than ¼ cup dough onto parchment lined baking sheet. Limit to 6 scoops of dough on the baking sheet (we want to leave room for these cookies to spread).
- Bake at 375°F for 12 minutes or until edges are golden brown and the cookies are cooked through to your liking. Top with sea salt immediately after baking (optional), then place on cooling rack.
- Replace parchment paper on the baking sheet with a new sheet and scoop the remaining dough into 6 scoops onto baking sheet.
- Bake for 12 minutes at 375°F.
- Top with sea salt (if you'd like) and place onto cooling rack. Enjoy!
Reccomended for you
Thank you for taking the time to check out my blog! Your support is deeply appreciated!