1. In the large bowl, add sugar and warm water. Mix thoroughly until the sugar dissolves.2. Open the yeast packet and sprinkle all over the surface of the sugar and water mixture. Do not mix! *Usually, I would give the yeast a gentle stir, but for these recpe I found that not mixing the yeast gives best results.3. Let sit for 10 minutes.
4. In the medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. Give them a quick stir ans set aside until yeast finishes proofing.
Make the Dough:
5. Pour dry ingredients into the yeast and water mixture. Add olive oil, rosemary, and garlic. Stir gently until the dry ingredients are fully incorporated.6. Cover bowl with a damp kitchen towel for 40 minutes to an hour. This allows the dough to rise; we want it to double in size.
Prepare to Bake
7. Grease 9x13 baking dish, add parchment paper, then grease parchment paper. 8. Remove towel from bowl and evenly pour dough into baking dish. Drizzle with more olive oil and rosemary leaves. 9. Cover baking dish with damp towel and let sit for 20 minutes.
Time to Bake
10. Douse fingers in olive oil and poke holes all throughout the dough. 11. Bake at 425° for 15-20 minutes. Keep an eye on the focaccia for those last 5 minutes. It's done when the top is entirely golden brown.12. Let cool for approximately 10 minutes, so no one burns themselves.13. Dig in & Enjoy!
Garlic Butter (Optional)
In the microwave, heat up 2 tablespoons of Earth Balance (vegan butter) and 1 tsp minced garlic for 30-45 seconds until the butter is warm and melted. Spread over the top of focaccia :)