These vegan peppermint chocolate truffles are a healthier take on the chocolate peppermint treats you look forward to every year. Healthier than other treats, these are sweetened naturally with dates and might as well be named holiDATE truffles. Get it? These are ready to go in under an hour and will have your health-crazed friends begging for the recipe. Not only are these truffles gluten-free but they are dairy-free as well and, yes, vegan too!
Which Dairy-Free Dark Chocolate do I Use for this Holiday dessert?
This recipe uses dark chocolate chips from Trader Joe’s which are affordable and conveniently dairy-free. Make sure your chosen chocolate is dairy-free, minimal ingredients, and low in sugar. The dates make these truffles very sweet, so a low-sugar chocolate is a ideal in terms of overall flavor. Many dark chocolate bars are dairy-free when the cacao percentage surpasses 70%. In this case, make sure to review the ingredients list.
I don’t have Peppermint Extract..
Whole Foods sells 365 peppermint extract for 2.99, I know right.. Don’t walk, RUN. Kidding, if you don’t have peppermint extract or aren’t keen to the delicious minty chocolate combo many of us love, simply omit the ingredient. These truffles can be enjoyed as is. However, if you’d like another flavor paring with the chocolate, try: 1 teaspoon orange zest, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract, 1/2 teaspoon almond extract, 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, or replace the cashew butter with peanut butter to create chocolate-peanut-butter perfection.
Other topping Variations:
Instead of a light dusting of cocoa powder, try dousing these truffles in melted dark chocolate, crushed candy canes, or chopped cashews. The list goes on.
- Large Bowl
- 2 medium microwave-safe bowls
- Electric mixer
- Parchment paper or wax paper
- Large baking sheet
- 2 Cups Pitted Medjool Dates
- 2 Cups Hot Water
- 1 Cup Dairy-Free Dark Chocolate Chips
- ½ Cup Cashew Butter
- ½ Tsp Peppermint Extract
- 1 Pinch Kosher Salt
- 2 Tbsp Cocoa Powder
- 1 Crushed Candy Cane (optional)
- Prepare the Truffles
- In a medium microwave-safe bowl, add dates and cover with water. Microwave until water is warm and dates are soft (about 1 minute). Or add hot water right away and microwave for just 30 seconds. Set aside.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, add chocolate chips and microwave for thirty-second intervals until melted and silky smooth. Make sure to stir between intervals. Set aside.
- Remove the dates from the water and place into a large mixing bowl. Break up the dates on low speed with an electric mixer (does not have to be perfect, we will continue mixing). Add cashew butter and mix at low speed until combined. Add melted chocolate, peppermint extract, and a pinch of salt to the dates and cashew butter. Mix at low and medium speed until fully combined and resembles a sticky cookie dough.
- Line a baking sheet with wax paper or parchment paper. Grab approximately 1-1½ tablespoons worth of the mixture, roll into a ball and place onto a lined baking sheet. Repeat with remaining mixture. This yields approximately 26 truffles. Place baking sheet in fridge for 10 minutes.
- Remove baking sheet from fridge. Scoop cocoa powder onto plate. Roll each ball in the cocoa powder until all edges are covered. Refrigerate until serving.
- Serve with crushed candy canes (optional). Enjoy!
Thank you for taking the time to check out my blog! I sincerely appreciate your support!