Easy brussel sprouts to the holiday side dish rescue! This recipe creates the perfect side dish in under a half hour. These Brussels sprouts are mild in flavor in which they will pair nicely with practically any entrée. The brown sugar enhances the vegetable’s sweetness while the buttery thyme and garlic sauce adds richness and the lemon juice brightens the dish and adds freshness. Plate these babies up next to your holiday roast, vegan main dish, mash potatoes, and enjoy a wonderful meal.
Which vegan Butter Do I use?
Any vegan butter will work. I personally keep Earth Balance in my refrigerator, so it is go-to. Other options include Miyoko’s vegan butter. As a last resort, if vegan butter isn’t available, feel free to use olive oil. Substitute the same amount of olive oil for the amount vegan butter suggested in the recipe.
Can I Still Make These Brussels Sprouts If I Don’t Have Thyme?
Absolutely. If thyme is not accessible, simply, omit the herb. However, in the case other herbs are available, rosemary and sage would work.
Why Are the Brussels Sprouts Sautéed in Brown Sugar?
The purpose behind sautéing the Brussels in brown sugar is to add sweetness and combat that bitter Brussels-sprout flavor that deters most foodies from eating the vegetable. This method partially cooks the the Brussels sprouts before crisping them up in the oven and results in so they are soft, tender Brussels sprouts that burst with flavor.
- Cutting Board + Knife
- Large Saucepan
- Baking Sheet
- Parchment paper/Tinfoil
- Small Bowl
- Spatula/Wooden Spoon
- 14 oz Brussel Sprouts Approx. 25-30 small/medium sprouts
- 1½ Tbsp Vegan Butter This recipe uses Earth Balance
- 1 Tbsp Brown Sugar
- 1 Lemon
- 3 Garlic Cloves
- 2 Sprigs of Fresh Thyme + More for garnish
- 2 Pinches Kosher Salt
- Preheat Oven to 425F (if applicable, set your oven to convection roast setting)
- 1. Line a baking sheet with tin foil and set aside.
- 2. Wash And dry brussel sprouts. Cut into quarters and remove any loose leaves (we don't want these because they will burn). Set aside.
Sauteé Brussel Sprouts
- 3. In a very large saucepan melt 2 tablespoons of Earth balance. Add chopped brussel sprouts and stir. Sprinkle brown sugar and a three-finger pinch of salt over brussel sprouts and stir. Cover and turn the heat to medium. Stir every 3 minutes and repeat until brussel sprouts are bright green, slightly yellow, and 85% cooked through.
Roast Brussel Sprouts
- 4. Lay out brussel sprouts onto baking sheets making sure there is room between each sprout and roast for 5 minutes or until the tops turn slightly dark brown.
- 5. In the meantime, peel and thinly slice garlic. Set aside. Juice lemons into a small bowl, remove seeds, and set aside. Lastly, remove the leaves from 2 sprigs of thyme and set aside.
- 6. In the same saucepan melt 1 tbsp Earth Balance at medium heat. Add the garlic and add thyme leaves once fragrant. Once garlic is golden and sticks to the pan, add the lemon juice. Turn off heat.
- 7. Add brussel sprouts to the sauce pan, sprinkle a pinch of salt, and toss until evenly coated. Serve and top with a fresh queeze of lemona and fresh thyme leaves.
Recipes You May Enjoy Here
Sautéed veggies, but better. These Sautéed Kale and Mushrooms are full umami flavor and are ready in just 15-ish minutes. This recipe not only functions as an easy side dish but also as a guide to help you amp up your vegetables. The wine, garlic, and thyme are the holy trinity of this dish. Together, […]
Quinoa makes the perfect gluten-free side dish. After trying this Cilantro Lime Quinoa Recipe, you’ll know exactly what I’m talking about. This is an easy recipe which goes great served alongside grilled meats, veggies, and more! What is quinoa? Quinoa is the seed of the goosefoot plant. It is prepared similarly to a grain whereas […]
This gluten-free and dairy-free quinoa summer salad is perfect for hot afternoons. The tomato and lemon juice give this salad an acidic tang which balances out the fattiness of the olive oil and avocado. This quinoa salad goes great with all things barbecue, grilled chicken, roasted veggies, and more!