Naturally sweetened cashew chocolate chip cookies are perfect for satisfying that sweet tooth. These cashew chocolate chip cookies are gluten-free and dairy-free and are sweetened naturally with dates to emulate that sweet nutty, caramel goodness normally found in brown sugar. Luckily, these cookies won’t lead to a terrible headache that can result from most indulging desserts.
Do I have to use cashews?
Nope! The inspiration behind this recipe came from sugar cravings. With few sweets on hand, I opted for a bowl of cashews and dark chocolate chips. The two tasted great together and I thought they’d make a great cookie. Cashews are particularly great in these cookies because they add creaminess and nuttiness. They pair perfectly with dates. However, if cashews aren’t your jam feel free to sub them out with another nut, or more chocolate chips ( I won’t judge!). If you’re looking for a suggestion, hazelnuts would work great!!
- 2 Large Bowls
- 2 Baking Sheets
- Parchment Paper
- Electric mixer
- Preheat Oven to 350ºF
- 1. Dates and hot water to large bowl and microwave for 30 seconds. Remove dates from water and add to the dry bowl and mix on medium speed until the dates are completely broken up.
- 2. Make sure coconut oil is at room temperature (if not, nuke it in the microwave for 10 seconds or so). Add to dates and mix on medium speed. Add maple syrup, vanilla extract, egg, and salt to this mixture and continue to mix until everything is combined.
- 3. Measure out flour and baking powder. Add the baking powder an half of the flour to the bowl and mix until combined. Add the remaining flour and mix until all dry flour is incorporated.
- 4. Add cashews and chocolate chips and mix at low speed or fold into dough with a spoon.
- 5. Line baking sheets with parchment paper. Use a spoon and place approx 1.5 tablespoons of dough onto the baking sheet, flatten slightly and repeat with remaining dough, leaving approximately 1 inch between each dollop of dough. (These cookies won't spread out in the oven so don't worry about spacing them out. 1 inch apart is enough)
- 6. Bake at 350ºF for 10 minutes or until egdes and crinkles on the cookies turn golden brown. These are doughy cookies and will have a dough-like consistency after baking.
- 7. Cool for 5 minutes, and enjoy!
Thank you for taking the time to check out my blog! Your support is deeply appreciated!