No need to opt for the gummy, flakey store-bought gluten-free tortillas. These gluten-free dairy-free flour tortillas resemble freshly made flour tortillas you’d find at your favorite Mexican restaurants. The tortillas do require a few specific ingredients to result in chewy, savory goodness.
Is glutinous rice flour gluten-free?
The term “glutinous” is misleading, but yes! Glutinous rice flour is indeed gluten-free. Find it at an Asian market or find it here on Amazon.
Can I use a different flour blend for these homemade flour tortillas?
Unfortunately, Bob’s Red Mill 1:1 Gluten-Free baking flour yields the best results (this post is not sponsored!). I genuinely love these product and out of other gluten-free flours, it creates the best tasting tortillas.
- 2 Large Bowls
- 16 5x5in Squares of Parchment Paper
- Rolling Pin
- Clean Surface
- Cast Iron Pan optional
- Knife any kind works
Mochi Dough (Make First)
- 1 cup Glutinous Rice Flour
- 1 cup Plant Milk
- 2 three-finger Pinch Sea Salt Sea Salt flakes are ideal
- 2 cups Bobs red Mill 1:1 Gluten-Free Baking Flour + extra for rolling
- ⅓ cup Vegan Butter I used Earth Balance
- 1 tbsp Vegan Butter
- ¼ cup Cold Water
- 2 Pinches Sea Salt
- (If using cast iron pan) Preheat pan on low-medium heat on stove.
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, add plant milk, glutinous rice flour, and salt. Stir with a fork until smooth.
- Place in microwave for 45 seconds. Take out of the microwave and stir until cooked parts are mixed with the running batter.
- Continue until the mixture looks like a very sticky mocha and turns dark and opaque.
- Set aside.
- In the other large bowl, add Bob's Red Mill 1:1 Gluten-Free baking flour, vegan butter, and salt. Pinch the mixture with clean hands until a dry crumble begins to form.
- Add cold water and continue to pinch dough until it sticks together. The dough will be flakey and dry.
Combine and Make Tortillas
- Carefully grab the mocha dough (this can be done with a fork) and stretch it to remove steam. We want to cool down the dough.
- Add butter and flour mixture to the bowl with the mochi dough. Pinch and knead until the two doughs combine.
- Lightly dust a clean surface with excess Bobs Red Mill 1:1 Gluten-Free Flour and knead dough into a ball.
- Divide the ball into 4 even sections using the knife. Roll each section into a ball and divide into 4 even sections again, creating a total of 16 small balls. Roll each section into a ball.
- Grab one of the small balls and roll out into 1/8 inch thick (we want these tortillas thin). Place rolled dough on top of parchment paper square. Continue with remaining balls of dough.
- Place rolled dough on hot pan for 20ish seconds until small bubbles appear, then flip. Remove remove from pan after approximately another 20 seconds and repeat with remaining dough,
- Serve warm and enjoy!
More gluten-free and dairy-free recipes below:
One Pot Quinoa with Spicy Chicken Sausage and Veggies (Gluten-Free Dairy-Free)
In just 45 minutes you can have a ragingly healthy, protein and nutrient packed dinner for the fam or you can have your week’s lunches prepped and ready to go in the fridge! This one-pot quinoa with chicken sausage and veggies is savory, garlic-y, slightly spicy and incredibly satisfying. In addition, this recipe is versatile…
Teriyaki-Inspired Tofu (Gluten-free Dairy-free)
This Teriyaki-Inspired Tofu is sweet, savory, spicy (if you want) and embodies all the deliciousness teriyaki sauce has to offer, minus the gluten. The recipe involves three main steps: preparation, marinade, and bake. However, the time required in each step is efficiently used such as for preheating and sauce making. Tofu doesn’t have to boring…
This vodka pasta is the dish that will convince not just your friends and family but every single person that delicious gluten-free and dairy-free food exists. This gluten-free and dairy-free pasta is rich, creamy, has a hint of heat and satisfies all pasta needs. Give it a try when the pasta cravings hit! FAQS: Which…
Oven-Baked Cilantro Lime Shrimp
Calling all shrimp lovers! Enjoy fresh flavors of summer during the winter, in the comfort of your home. This oven-baked cilantro lime shrimp takes a maximum of just fifteen minutes and five simple ingredients. This recipe is great for meal-prepping, lunch, and a quick gluten-free and dairy-free dinner. The marinated shrimp can also be pan-seared…
Thank you for taking the time to check out my blog! I sincerely appreciate your support!