In just 45 minutes you can have a ragingly healthy, protein and nutrient packed dinner for the fam or you can have your week’s lunches prepped and ready to go in the fridge! This one-pot quinoa with chicken sausage and veggies is savory, garlic-y, slightly spicy and incredibly satisfying. In addition, this recipe is versatile to your taste! Simply opt out the spicy chicken sausage for a mild Italian sausage, pork sausage, or a vegan option. Don’t like mushrooms? Feel Sub them out for zucchini, asparagus, peas–the options are endless!
Can I still make this One Pot Quinoa with Chicken Sausage and Veggies if I can’t get my hands on chicken bone broth?
Absolutely! This recipe works well with veggies stock, chicken stock, beef stock, or even beef bone broth. Please note that the dish will not have as much protein if bone broth is omitted. If you can only find a small container of bone broth, feel free to use that alongside regular chicken broth or water. If water is used instead of chicken bone broth, make sure to add an additional 1/4 tsp of kosher salt and an extra shake of each of the spices.
Why is this a good gluten-free dairy-free meal prep recipe?
This gluten-free and dairy-free one pot quinoa with spicy chicken sausage and veggies is cooked in bone broth rather than water which 1) adds wonderful nutrients to the dish and 2) adds a serious amount of protein to an already high-protein meal. In addition, this recipe calls for approximately 40 minutes, one pot, a little bit of knife prep, and results in plenty of food to yield 4-5 lunches for the week depending how much you eat.
- Large pot and lid
- Cutting Board
- Large Knife
- 2 Medium Bowls
- Tongs or wooden spoon
- 2 Small Bowls
- 1½ cup dry quinoa tri-color or brown works
- 1 pack pre-cooked Italian chicken sausage 6 Sausages
- 1 6oz bag baby spinach washed and dried
- 1 32oz carton chicken bone broth
- 1 pack Mushrooms wash and slice
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 handful fresh cilantro
- 1 lime
- 2 tbsp pre-minded garlic or 4 cloves
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
- Wash and slice mushrooms and set aside in medium bowl. Then slice the sausages into coins and set aside in another medium bowl.
- Afterwards, chop fresh garlic and set aside in a small bowl (or get the pre minced garlic out of the fridge).
- Lastly, rough chop the cilantro and set aside in separate small bowl.
- Add garlic powder, onion powder, red pepper flakes, and cumin to small bowl and set aside.
- Measure out the quinoa and set aside.
Time to cook
- In a large pot, add a tablespoon of olive oil and sauté the sausages on medium heat until both sides are golden brown. Once golden brown, set sausages in their original medium bowl and let cool.
- Add another tablespoon of olive oil to the pot as well as the sliced mushrooms. Add a pinch of the 1/2 tsp of salt to the mushrooms and sauté at medium heat until wilted and golden. Set aside in their original medium bowl.
- Add two tablespoons of olive oil to the same pot and add either 1 ½ tablespoons of pre-minced garlic or 4 cloves of freshly chopped garlic into the pot. Sauté for 1 minute until fragrant and then add the spices. Cook until fragrant (about 30 seconds).
- Once spices are fragrant, add dry quinoa and remaining salt to the pot. Stir continuously at medium heat until it appears a slightly darker golden color (about 5-7 minutes).
- Pour entire container of chicken bone broth to cover the quinoa. Bring to a boil, cover with a lid and let simmer at medium-low heat for 15-17 minutes or until the quinoa is cooked through the broth is mostly absorbed.
- Once cooked, incrementally add the bag of spinach to the cooked quinoa and gently toss so that the spinach evenly wilts.
- Turn off the heat once the spinach is wilted. Toss in the cooked mushrooms and sausage
- Add chopped cilantro, the juice of one lime and toss.
- Serve and enjoy!
Thank you for taking the time to check out my blog! I sincerely appreciate your support!