This Creamy Brown Rice with Rosemary is my gluten-free and dairy-free version of risotto. However, it takes a maximum of 15 minutes to make. The creaminess comes from a béchamel inspired gluten-free and dairy-free sauce. It’s similar to a Mac n cheese sauce however I use gluten-free flour, oat milk, and dairy-free cheese. What makes the dish, is the fresh rosemary and lemon juice. The two add brightness, freshness to the rich, decadent, cream sauce.
What makes this Brown Rice with Rosemary and Lemon different from risotto?
Risotto is typically topped with regular cheese and begins with uncooked rice. What’s special about this recipe is that it calls for precooked rice (I use frozen) so all the work is in making the sauce which is fairly minimal. This recipe also uses a béchamel-inspired sauce whereas traditional risotto toasts the uncooked rice in herbs and some wine and then cooks it in stock where the starches from the rice create the base for creamy “sauce”.
Can I use any Gluten-Free Flour?
Probably, however this recipe used Bob Red Mill’s 1:1 Gluten-Free Baking Flour. I’m sure any gluten-free flour will work, however I can only guarantee that this flour will yield the best results. If you try a different flour, please let me know how it turns out!
- 1 Large Sauce Pan
- Cup Measurement
- Tablespoon & Teaspoon Measurement
- Wooden Spoon Or stove-safe plastic whisk (A metal whisk works too if you use a stainless steal pan)
- 4 Cups Pre-cooked Frozen Brown Rice or 2 10oz bags (from Trader Joe's)
- 2 Cups Plant Milk I used the oat milk from Trader Joes
- 2½ Tbsp Vegan Butter I used Earth Balance
- 2 Tbsp Bob Red Mill's Gluten-Free 1:1 Baking Flour
- ¾ Tsp Sea Salt or Kosher salt
- ½ Tsp Garlic Powder
- ¼ Tsp Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- ⅛ Tsp Red Chili Flakes Optional
- 2 Sprigs of Fresh Rosemary the leaves
- ½ Lemon (the juice)
- ½ Cup Dairy-Free Cheese I used the parmesan and mozzarella from Trader Joes
- Cook frozen rice in microwave according to the box's directions
- Heat large saucepan to medium heat and add butter. Once melted, add gluten-free flour and stir. Let bubble.
- Add garlic powder, chili flakes, salt, and pepper tot he butter and flour, and stir until fragrant. Then, add fresh rosemary leaves and stir.
- Slowly pour in half of the plant milk while mixing simultaneously to break up clumps. Mix until no clumps remain.
- Add the rest of the milk and continue to stir. Stir until the sauce visibly thickens to the consistency of melted chocolate or runny glue.
- Lower the heat to the lowest setting and add cheese. Stir until melted.
- Stir in the microwaved rice and add lemon juice. Stir until combined.
- Serve and enjoy!
Similar recipes to Creamy Brown Rice with Rosemary
Thank you for taking the time to check out my blog! I sincerely appreciate your support!
2 responses to “Creamy Brown Rice with Rosemary (Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free)”
The recipe sounds really good. The pictures were quite appetizing and the risotto itself tasted amazing!
I can honestly say this rice dish rivals all the risotto dishes I’ve tried. It’s so yummy, savory and would make a great side or main dish.