This Teriyaki-Inspired Tofu is sweet, savory, spicy (if you want) and embodies all the deliciousness teriyaki sauce has to offer, minus the gluten. The recipe involves three main steps: preparation, marinade, and bake. However, the time required in each step is efficiently used such as for preheating and sauce making. Tofu doesn’t have to boring and bland, use this recipe to up your game!
What does this Teriyaki-Inspired Tofu taste like?
This gluten-free and dairy-free Teriyaki-Inspired Tofu is savory, sweet, spicy (optional), with lots of umami flavor. This tofu dish resembles entrees offered at Japanese and Chinese restaurants where a protein is served with a sticky sauce. This tofu pairs well with a side of rice, avocado, edamame, rice noodles, the list goes on.
What makes this Teriyaki-Inspired Tofu Gluten-Free and Dairy-Free?
Typically in Japanese and Chinese cuisine, soy sauce serves as the base for many sauces in “classic” dishes served in America. This recipe calls for coconut aminos as a substitute for soy sauce. Coconut aminos function and taste similar to soy sauce however they are sweeter.
- 1 Saucepan
- Stirring utensil
- Paper Towels
- 16 oz Extra firm tofu
- ½ cup water
- 6 tbsp Smoked coconut aminos regular coconut aminos work too
- 1 tbsp Sesame oil
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 tbsp Rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp Corn starch
- 1 tsp Minced garlic approximately 1 clove
- ½ tsp Grated ginger
- ½ tsp Red pepper flakes optional
- ¼ tsp Kosher salt
- Sesame Seeds
- Cut tofu in half lengthwise. Press with paper towels on each side for 30 seconds using hands to press out excess water.
- Cut pressed tofu into 1 inch cubes. Set aside.
- In the large bowl, combine coconut aminos, rice wine vinegar, sesame oil, olive oil, garlic, ginger, red pepper flakes (optional), cornstarch and salt. Stir until corn starch dissolves.
- Add tofu cubes to marinade and gently toss until each cube is coated. Set aside and marinate for 20 minutes. Toss after 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, preheat oven to 425°F and line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Once 20 minutes passes, Add marinated tofu onto lined baking sheet and reserve remaining marinade.
- Bake tofu at 425°F for 15 minutes.
- While the tofu bakes, pour remaining marinade to saucepan and add 1/2 cup of water. Bring to a boil and stir constantly. Let simmer on medium heat for 1 minute and continue to stir. Remove from heat and let cool until tofu finishes baking.
- Remove tofu from oven. Add to the bowl used for marinade and pour the marinade reduction over the tofu. Toss until tofu cubes are covered.
- Serve with furikake or sesame seeds and enjoy!
Try these Teriyaki-Inspired Turkey Burgers!
These Gluten-Free Dairy-Free Turkey Burgers will be your new gluten-free dairy-free dinner go-to. They are savory, slightly sweet, and have the perfect level of spiciness. Finding a good gluten-free dairy-free dinner recipe is difficult, however I promise these will up your dinner game! The umami flavor from the sriracha and the sweetness from the coconut…