These chocolate meringue cookies are the perfect gluten-free and dairy-free chocolate dessert. Although meringue cookies take some time to make and require patience and effort, they are absolutely delicious and perfect for chocolate lovers. These cookies are light, not too sweet, and have the perfect amount of chocolatey goodness. These chocolate meringue cookies not only make a delicious gluten-free dairy-free chocolate dessert but they also act as a great way to challenge your pastry skills. The recipe is easy enough for beginners (like me), yet piping and whipping the meringue can be challenging for newcomers. Anyways, they’re great if you want to impress your guests with your pastry skills!
Ingredients: Mandatory or Optional?
Lemon Juice: Mandatory Unless have cream of tartar on hand
Acidity is vital in order for the meringues to turn out. It stabilizes the egg whites which allows them to reach and hold a stiff peak. However, in the case lemon juice is not accessible, substitute with 1/4 tsp cream of tartar.
Vanilla Extract: Optional
Vanilla extract is entirely optional. If it is not accessible or you do not prefer the taste of vanilla, then by no means, don’t use it. This will not affect the meringues.
Chocolate: Depends on Your Taste
I highly recommend adding the chocolate chunks like the recipe suggests. They add elements of flavor and texture that, in my opinion, make the dessert pop. However, if you don’t have cocoa powder on hand, don’t stress. Simply follow the steps and omit the cocoa powder and the corresponding steps. The meringues will be less chocolatey, but still delicious!
Is this really a gluten-free and dairy-free chocolate dessert?
Yup! This recipe is proudly free of gluten and dairy. Watch out when choosing your desired chocolate for the chocolate chunks and make sure it’s dairy-free. The chocolate I used from Trader Joe’s is dairy-free and delicious, make sure to check out the recipe ingredient lists for details.
- 3 Large Egg Whites
- ¾ Cup Granulated Sugar
- ⅓ Cup Finely Chopped Dark Chocolate I like the 72% Fair Trade Belgian Chocolate from Trader Joe's, it's dairy-free!
- ¼ Cup Cocoa Powder Use whichever kind you have.
- 1 ½ Tsp Lemon Juice Cream of Tarter works too, however use 1/4 tsp.
- 1/4 Tsp Vanilla Extract
Preheat Oven to 200°F
- 1. Make sure large bowl is clean and dry. Add egg whites, vanilla extract, and lemon juice to bowl. Whip on high speed until the egg whites form stiff peaks.
- 2. Add sugar to medium bowl. Gently scatter 1 teaspoon of sugar into the egg whites and b mix on medium speed for 10 seconds. Repeat with remaining sugar.
- 3. Add cocoa powder to the second medium bowl. Pour cocao powder into sifter and sift no more than 1/4 into the egg whites. Mix on low/medium speed until combined. Repeat with remaining cocao powder. Do this gradually, if the cocoa powder is added too quickly, it's weight will cause the egg whites to fall. If the egg whites fall you will need to start over with fresh ingredients.
- 4. Carefully fold in chopped chocolate to the egg whites. Add to piping bag (wait until step 6 to cut off the end of the bag).
- 5. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. If the parchment paper doesn't stick, add some water or cooking spray to the pan and press the parchment paper on top. This is make piping the meringues easier.
- 6. Cut the end off of your piping bag, about 1 centimeter's worth. Hold piping bag with dominant hand and secure the top with non dominant hand to prevent meringue from leaking out the top. Gentely squeeze piping bag, forcing the meringue downwards, touch the parchment paper and move in a circle, ending upwards at the circle's center. Repeat with remaining merignue.
- 7. Bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy 🙂
More recipes Here
No need to opt for the gummy, flakey store-bought gluten-free tortillas. These gluten-free dairy-free flour tortillas resemble freshly made flour tortillas you’d find at your favorite Mexican restaurants. The tortillas do require a few specific ingredients to result in chewy, savory goodness. FAQS: Is glutinous rice flour gluten-free? The term “glutinous” is misleading, but yes!…
These vegan peppermint chocolate truffles are a healthier take on the chocolate peppermint treats you look forward to every year. Healthier than other treats, these are sweetened naturally with dates and might as well be named holiDATE truffles. Get it? These are ready to go in under an hour and will have your health-crazed friends…
Need the perfect dinner recipe for when you want to snuggle up with a good book by the fire? Don’t worry, I got you. This gluten-free dairy-free butternut squash soup takes minimal effort and leaves your kitchen smelling like all things fall. FAQS: Do I Salt the Butternut Squash Soup If my Bone Broth is…
These gluten-free dairy-free fudgy brownies are chewy, chocolatey, rich in flavor, and have that perfect crackly top. This recipe took many attempts and the steps may appear unconventional as well as ingredients like corn starch, however, rest assured because your brownies will turn out delectable every time. Which dairy-free butter do I use in these…
Thank you for taking the time to check out my blog! I sincerely appreciate your support!